WHAT IS COCO-PEAT
Coco-peat (coco coir, coir and coconut fibre) is made from the husk of the coconut, which is the fruit of the tree.
The husk contains fibre and fine materials that constitute coco-peat. Cocopeat is homogenous material comprised of millions of capillary micro-sponges.
Coco-peat has a natural pH of 5.7 to 6.5 with high Cation Exchange Capacity.
- It mixes with other raw materials of the growing medium
- Coco-peat has very good air porosity
- Cocopeat has excellent wetting and re-wetting capacity
- Roots develop faster in cocopeat compared to other media
- Cocopeat has good water and nutrition holding capacity
- Cocopeat is natural, organic material
- Cocopeat can be recycled after its use as a substrate, thereby it doesn't pose threat on environment
- Cocopeat can hold water up to eight times its own weight
Coir peat is ideally suited for use as a hydroponic growing media (flowers fruit and vegetables), for bulb storage and as the basis of potting mix.
WHAT ARE COCO-CHIPS
The coconut husk could also be cut into smaller pieces of specific dimensions and is called as coco-chips. It is available in sizes from 5mm to 20mm.
It has air porosity of 40 to 55%. It has a water holding capacity of 35 to 60%. The coco-chips can be added to the cocopeat at different proportion to increase the air-porosity or water holding capacity. It is as an orchid growing media.
- It has the properties of cocopeat.
- Its chips hold more moisture
- It acts as a sponge and releases the moisture held by it
Cocopeat is added at 10-30% to the potting mixes depending on the mixes. The plants grown in such media needs less irrigation, due to higher water holding capacity of the cocopeat. The plants develop more finer roots in a short time. With aeration in the mixes, the plants are healthier.
COMPRESSED COCOPEAT SLABS
Compressed Cocopeat Slabs can be used by cutflower, vegetable and strawberry growers
- Available in different sizes. Click here to see few of the sizes
- Available in different mixes like 100% cocopeat or mixed with coco-chips
Cocopeat is washed to an EC of <1.0mS/cm
Sizes in cm after rehydration
- 110 x 15 x12
- 110 x 15 x15
- 100 x 15 x12
- 100 x 15 x15
- 80 x 15 x12
- 80 x 15 x15
- 60 x 15 x12
- 60 x 15 x15
Nature's Soil has been importing coir peat from India since 2001 after substituting it for the large volume of peatmoss that it previously used.
India generates 95% of the world's coir fibre production and this is where our business relationship with the Sivanthi Group started.
Sivanthi is one of the worlds leading manufacturers and exporters of coir peat and coir related products.
Nature's Soil have since been appointed the exclusive national distributor for Sivanthi's range of coir products.